Friday, September 21, 2012

AN ADOPTION STORY (Part 3)

A NOTE FROM BETTY (MY BIRTH MOM):

I can not begin to express the joy that these stories have brought to me, there is so much love in adoption.When I found myself pregnant with Kim, I was going to be selfish and keep her all for myself...I wanted her so badly. 

I was 21, I left home and came out west to have her, away from everything I knew to start my life over.  Those were hard times, I didn't have much money for food and rent, I struggled a lot.  It was eye opening for me...HOW was I going to raise a baby, feed her, clothe her and give her the life that I had imagined in my head, alone.
One day I woke up and I just KNEW that I had to give my baby up for adoption.  After 6 months of loving and making plans for "us", I knew that I had to make plans for her.  It was a hard decision, but once I made up my mind there was no turning back. 

I made an appointment with a social worker and started the process of making sure it was what I truly wanted.  On one of the visits he had some files on his desk and he started to tell me about this couple...this couple that had wanted a baby for SO long.  It tore at my heart what this woman must have gone through for so many years...my search was over, I knew that I would have more children, this lovely woman had waited far too long to hold a child in her arms.  I can only imagine the joy that she must have felt when she learned that she would indeed be getting a baby.

Giving birth to Kim was the hardest scariest thing that I had ever done, and I was alone, that was the way I wanted it...just me and my baby.  So pretty and so tiny and pink. I knew I had grown a perfect baby for this mother that I would never know, never meet, but this was my gift to her, this stranger that would raise and nurture into this wonderful human being...my Kim.

As Kim mentioned, our reunion was perfect, she is one of our children and has been since the beginning. 

We have been so blessed, our family, through adoption, through Rosa and Sarah...all a part of our forever growing family.
I love each and every one of you.

For Kim...from your Earth mother,

0 comments: