Sunday, April 19, 2009

Painting our place

We are planning on painting our place soon, really soon...here are some pictures, I'd love to get your opinions...There is the first one that is our inspiration, I love it!! Then a picture of our place (not a good one!).

This is our inspiration - but of coarse our house is not near this cute...but I can hope and wish! Isn't the door just fabulous? And the green with the yellow - Gosh, I love it!
This is our actual house...see...not that cute, but we're working on it. This is actually a pretty old picture, we've done some landscaping since this was done.
This is one of our color choices we like...in the actual color swatch of paint it looks darker then it does on my computer. You have to imagine it on a 1971 duplex though, sorry they didn't have that as an option :)
This is another one of our color choices we like, notice the yellow door with the cream trim. In the actual color swatch it is a bit darker then it looks on my computer.

Nick & I really like both of them, and although we feel like we've made a decision I thought I'd throw it out there for the blogging world's opinion.

16 comments:

billysmom04 said...

I don't like the blue. Why didn't you try a dark shade of green? Isn't that first house a dark green? It's hard to tell on the computer. I love the yellow door though. However, something that I learned the hard way (painting our house yellow) is that bees are attracted to it. I'm not sure if that would be the case if it's only your front door. Just something to think about. :O)

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

Oh I like either of them, I have a tendency to go toward the gray and blue colors, but I was told that resell is higher in homes that have more of a brown base than gray? That's coming from a house salesman that was helping my brother build a house. Take it for what it's worth, but I think either of them would look good!!

Trista said...

I like either, but I tend to go with the more neutral colors--creams, tans, browns...so I think the brown gets my vote. Cannot wait to see the end result--I love this house improvement stuff, it's so fun to see the changes.

Bert Mills said...

Feng Shui says to have red be the first thing you see as you walk into a home. I'd vote for a red door and then build your color scheme off of that starting point. With my new job, I have been surprised by the number of red doors I see.

Betty said...

Kim and I actually had the red door conversation! "I" want a red door...
I like the brown too, it's a warmer color and has a cozy welcoming feeling.

Annie said...

Well of course Bert would like a red door since he owns Red Door Homes. I like the brown with the Yellow door. Specially if bert says he see's lots of red doors do something different. So maybe brown house yellow door and a tan/light brown trim...that's my opinion :-)

Summer Mike and Paxton said...

No matter what you pick I think you definitely need to paint some large flower pots the same yellow as your door to place outside, or even better you could paint an iron chair to match. More yellow I think!

The Bott Family said...

I like the first choice; the yellow door (like a Ming yellow); with the brown base (looks like a Burley Wood or Deep Earth); the accents in green (Dark Olive or Ivy Pasture); the trim brings it all together (like a Ginger Sugar) creamy trim.

I think the others are just too much on the style. The roof pitch lets them get away with the dark color and breaks it up in the other two photos and the yellow stands out a little too much. That is just my opinion, which means nothing.

It could work on yours though; paint the door yellow. Paint the house darker with the lighter trim then accent it with trees and bushes to bring in the green. You could even get a cute little bench to put out front or one giant green pot! Food for thought! Good luck.

Millers! said...

I like the brown!

miriam said...

I really like the yellow door! and I like the 1st option better. I think it goes better with the yellow too because yellow is such a warm color and the 1st is a lot warmer than the 2nd.

Matt Mower said...

So I am going to go "wild and crazy" and say that I prefer the blue. The brown to me shouts out NW granola. And since Pullman is a brown and yellow dust bowl half the year, I would get something to pop out of the brown. Like I said, it is the crazy Alaskan coming out of me! If you need any painting advise, give me a call

Unknown said...

Kim, I like the brown better, but that's just my preference.

Riley Family said...

Love the first one! Love the yellow door! I'm glad that was an old picture I was feeling sad for you that it was still so snowy. :) Have fun painting!!

APAPAOOHMOWMOW said...

I like the green with the yellow but I also like the blue. You could do blue with a yellow door or red door. But you know what? Anything will look better than what you have right now. Not trying to be too critical but you and Nick both know what I mean.

APAPAOOHMOWMOW said...

I like the blue also. But I also like the "red door". Howard just painted his front door red and did nothing else to his house and it makes a BIG difference. We wanted red on ours but had trouble choosing the right shade. We gave up and just stuck with the white to match the windows. After seeing the difference in Howard's I really want a red door. I don't care if the whole city has one. The yellow looks good, just go with your gut. I don't remember the color of your roof that may make a difference. The black driveway may need to be considered also. Isn't home ownership fun? Good Luck. I know you will make it look GREAT! Dad

Joshua and Joy said...

I love that brown/gray taupy color. I love all the earth tones for houses.