I used to think of myself as crafty, and kind of witty when it came to arts and crafts...that is no longer the case!! I've noticed that over the past few years I just am not into crafts much anymore, I mean unless you count cutting and gluing with my two year old. I am really, really good at putting beads on pipe cleaners to make bracelets!! Don't get me wrong I get really excited about Super Saturday at church or doing a craft here and there, I'm just not "crafty" anymore.
I took a cake decorating class with 2 of the gals from church. I was inspired by my friend Michelle in Portland who makes BEAUTIFUL cakes - and when I say beautiful, I mean it! Anyhow, I've learned that maybe cake decorating is not one of my talents, and I'm okay with that. Really, I am! I just think it takes so much time to make something that everyone is just going to eat. Maybe I'm just selfish in thinking that if I'm going to spend all day making something I want it to be something to be enjoyed and ohhh'd and ahhhh'd over by everyone who sees it. Well, except lasagna...I spend all day making lasagna, but that seems so worth it! Maybe it's just that I've learned I don't like cake or frosting as much as I thought I did? Maybe I'm just not patient enough? Anyhow...the class was fun, and I'll probably take the next course too, but don't expect a cake just because it's your birthday - I'd rather make you a lasagna!!
Here is a picture of my very first cake...I think I needed a class on just how to color the frosting - it was never right! I wanted it to be a soft yellow...not neon, but thankfully kids don't care. It was Karli's birthday the next day so we all enjoyed a bright yellow birthday cake!
Look it even matches her shirt! I didn't plan that either - CrAzY!!!
This is how I improved over the course. I did miss one class while I was in Seattle, but it's okay! This is how my cake looked when I was 1/2 done, but I thought it needed more ...
So I added more flowers and the border. The purple flowers are called "drop flowers" they are SO easy!! When I make a cake again - I think I'll use a lot of those!! I took the cake to a friend and then made cup cakes today for the kids and did drop flowers all over the cup cakes - they turned out pretty cute! I will definitely use the simple skills like that again, but if you want roses on your cake I'll give you the number of one of the other girls in my class!! 

Nauvoo, Illinois
14 years ago

5 comments:
I think you did a fabulous job. Hopefully you had fun, and if you're planning on taking the next course you probably did. I'm glad you were there in our group.
I feel the same way kim, Why spend hours on something that just isn't worth the calories, And Lasagna is defiantly worth the calories. But they do look great!
You make me laugh! I think that both your cakes are beautiful! By the way...my 1/2 birthday is Sept. 1st. I like chocolate cake.
I think the cakes look great! I've always wanted decorating cakes to be a talent of mine, but being the impatient person I am, it doesn't work out too well.
The cakes look great. Better than my paper Happy B-day signs that were stuck in the cake with toothpicks. I loved reading about your adventures with Lucy and Melia. It was so fun to have you all here.
Post a Comment