Monday, June 23, 2008

The Circus came to town...






Last week we had the opportunity to go see the circus up at the Colfax Fairgrounds. Lucy was so excited all day to see the Elephants! We got there just before it started, and got a great parking spot. As we were waiting in line to pay for our tickets we realized they only take cash, of coarse! So, we had to go drive back into Colfax to get some money. We got back in good time and found a decent seat. They were having the bears performing when we first got there. Lucy had a great time and was very focused on the animals. During intermission they had pony rides, elephant rides, and some stuff for older kids. I asked Lucy if she wanted to ride the elephant or the pony. She just said over and over "I want to ride the pony, not the elephant!" So for $6 she got to ride the pony for about 3 minutes! She loved every second of it! Man, one of these days she's going to have to make friends with someone who owns a horse :)

I realized that although my life does not revolve around being an animal activist it really does break my heart to see animals living in small cages and being used just for our amusement. Although I try to remember the words or Jack Hannah who says something similar to the good things about Zoo's (and the circus) are that it helps kids fall in love with animals, and we grow up wanting to protect those things that we love. I know Lucy will want to grow up wanting to protect horses! Man, she loves them!

2 comments:

Denison's said...

I've always wanted to go to the circus. That must have been fun. I think the same thing about having to find someone near by with a horse Abby would love it, she loves animals!

The Yancey Family said...

Oh man, It looks like you guys had so much fun! I wish we could have gone, Claire would have loved it! My dumb job, it gets in the way of everything! I liked the thing that Jack Hannah said about the animals, it gives you a better perspective of the whole thing